Thursday 2 January 2014

Splice the mainbrayce

Well shiver me timbers - I don't believe it me hearties and me old ship's rudders. It was like an apparition at some wayside shrine like Peterborough or Walsingham, but after a raid on the French naval dockyards at Dieppe during which we lit up a load of French Revolutionary Forces ships with our own incendiaries over the top of the harbour wall, there sailing out to us came a ghost ship that I had not seen for many a long year me shipmates. It was draped in French flags and French colours but as soon as it escaped the harbour boom, off came those colours and I recognised the old HMS Cheshire Cheese finally getting free of her French prison wardens, held captive these long 20 years. A fine sight for sore eyes and it was only me own experienced eye in the Crow's Nest that saw the difference and recognised the old blighter, so I signalled to me captain not to fire on the escaping man of war. It was a sight for sore eyes I can tell ye shipmates. HMS Cheshire Cheese - thou art most welcome back to the fleets of the Royal Navy and I doff my Royal Enseign in your direction !! Aha such is the stuff of legend me hearties.

No comments:

Post a Comment